SMSC – British Values
Key Stage 4
According to Ofsted, an ‘outstanding’ school will have a ‘thoughtful and wide-ranging promotion of pupils’ spiritual, moral, social and cultural development’.
Our upbeat, interactive and engaging workshop will enrich the SMSC programme of any school.
OVERVIEW & AIMS
Our ‘activity-based’ workshop explores the following concepts:
• rule of law
• individual liberty
• mutual respect and tolerance
The event is aimed at Key Stage 3 and can be delivered in a school hall with large numbers or a carousel-style utilising multiple classrooms. Full or half day programmes available.
Students will take part in team activities that incorporate:
• freedom of speech
• the making and repealing of laws
• building strong, diverse communities through social enterprise
• government spending
• the free press
• the structure and mechanics of parliament
• human rights
AFTER TAKING PART IN THIS PROGRAMME, YOUR STUDENTS WILL KNOW:
• the difference between a dictatorship and a democracy
• what a constituency is and who is eligible to vote
• what the responsibility of an elected member of parliament is
• the difference between the House of Commons and the House of Lords
• why it’s an advantage to win an election with a large majority
• what ‘the cabinet’ is and what it does
• the main categories of government spending
• the choices our government has to make regarding taxation and the economy
• the importance of living and working in harmony as a society
• why freedom of speech is important
• that the Human Rights Act is part of UK law
• how new laws are made
The workshop is well balanced with long and short activities, quizzes and audiovisuals to keep students on task throughout the day.
The Bright Futures Experience team will provide all of the materials required on the day, as well as prizes and a sound system.
The school needs to provide a suitable venue, a data projector and a screen.
Your school will receive a comprehensive evaluation of the learning experience, based on student and staff feedback.
We learned about being British and what we need to be like to fit in. It was actually very good fun, I liked the activity on rules that was very good fun. I also learned how important communication is.
Want to book one of our programmes?
Click here or call us on 01773 850246